Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum  

Go Back   Ziller Electric Inc | Interactive Generac Generator Forum > Generac Generator Tech Talk > Code Questions

Code Questions Code questions involving Generators, Natural Gas, LP, and Transfer switches

Old February 27th, 2012   #1
smokehouse

Default Spacing between ATS and main panel.

Hello again! Slowly making my way through my 12kw Centurion project and am now at the point of installing the ATS switch inside the house. My main panel is mounted on a narrow wall which will leave about a 1.5" space between the main panel and the ATS and the same distance between the ATS and the adjoining wall. Are there any codes that dictate minimum spacing regarding these panels? Thanks again for taking the time to answer my posts guys, this forum is a Godsend!
smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012   #2
Enginerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
Hello again! Slowly making my way through my 12kw Centurion project and am now at the point of installing the ATS switch inside the house. My main panel is mounted on a narrow wall which will leave about a 1.5" space between the main panel and the ATS and the same distance between the ATS and the adjoining wall. Are there any codes that dictate minimum spacing regarding these panels? Thanks again for taking the time to answer my posts guys, this forum is a Godsend!
I did some similar research and could not find any limits on how close the panels could be. I found clearance/access requirements in front as well as restrictions on where the panel(s) can be located (not in a bathroom, etc.). There is also a requirement that any breakers be correctly oriented and there is a maximum height for breakers also. You don't state if you have a whole-house or dedicated circuit subpanel, I assume you have some breakers in there. Common sense would dictate that you don't want the panel too close to the floor as well but I can't remember if it was spelled out specifically because it was not an issue for me. That's all I can remember as far as code goes. If your clearance is tight around the panel you may want to think about pre-drilling some holes and capping them in case you want to feed extra wires through later on. Wish I had done that myself.

Last edited by Enginerd; February 28th, 2012 at 10:02 AM..
Enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012   #3
genme

If you have a hinged door on the panel, make sure there is enough clearance for it to operate. I don't know if there is a code requirement for this.
0058750, 6199xxx
genme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012   #4
smokehouse

Thanks for your time guys! I too found codes for height and spacing in front, but nothing for in between. I'd venture to say it doesn't really matter as long as doors, etc. are free to swing. Thanks again for your replies!
Old February 28th, 2012   #5
ceb58

(2)
Quote:
Width of Working Space. The width of the working
space in front of the electrical equipment shall be the width
of the equipment or 762 mm (30 in.), whichever is greater.
In all cases, the work space shall permit at least a 90 degree
opening of equipment doors or hinged panels.
As far as spacing between them there is none but it must be as code calls for. If you measure across the panel and ATS and come up with at least 30" you are good.
Old February 28th, 2012   #6
smokehouse

Thanks ceb58!
Old May 25th, 2013   #7
JayVee

Default My Electrical Closet Also Tightly Spaced

Attached is a photo of my electrical closet which is also tightly spaced.
My electrician moved the electrical panel a few inches to the left to gain some clearance. Although the transfer switch is NEMA outdoor-rated, I really wanted to keep it indoors.

The DLM module under the electrical panel is for third-priority load shedding of the 240 volt pool pump (the two A/C units are connected to the first two load shedding priorities in the ATS). I also had the electrician add a whole house surge suppressor which is to the left of the DLM module. Generator is a 27 kW QuietSource liquid cooled unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical Closet.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	630.2 KB
ID:	446  
JayVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013   #8
ceb58

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVee View Post
Attached is a photo of my electrical closet which is also tightly spaced.
My electrician moved the electrical panel a few inches to the left to gain some clearance. Although the transfer switch is NEMA outdoor-rated, I really wanted to keep it indoors.

The DLM module under the electrical panel is for third-priority load shedding of the 240 volt pool pump (the two A/C units are connected to the first two load shedding priorities in the ATS). I also had the electrician add a whole house surge suppressor which is to the left of the DLM module. Generator is a 27 kW QuietSource liquid cooled unit.
Tight but still code compliant by the wording "associated equipment" now if there were something like a circulating pump installed that close it would be a violation because the pump is not associated equipment.
Old July 21st, 2013   #9
GMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb58 View Post
Tight but still code compliant by the wording "associated equipment" now if there were something like a circulating pump installed that close it would be a violation because the pump is not associated equipment.
Hard to tell by the photo but it surely looks like the face of the ATS sticks out beyond the right edge of the panel
GMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013   #10
JayVee

I put a square on it and I actually have one inch clearance between the face of the ATS and the edge of the electrical panel.
JayVee is offline   Reply With Quote